Saturday, May 7, 2011

The truths God has taught me about motherhood

I just want to share a few thoughts on this Mother's Day eve. Because I know that the Lord’s love for me far exceeds the love I have for my children (though this is hard for me to comprehend at times) I know these truths:

-He only wants the best for me. This fact brings tears to my eyes because I so strongly feel that way for Jadon and Arrielle and if it is true for me, I feel that I spend half of my time fighting God to get my way instead of just trusting that He knows best…Sound familiar to those mommies with toddlers =-)?

-Sometimes I just need to be still and know that He is God. Just relax and bask in His presence. Arrielle is NOT a cuddler. It is so hard for me to get her to just relax and lay in my arms. She wants to be up and busy and in the mix of things. How much do I miss out on in terms of understanding God’s presence in my life because of my busyness?…I just need to relax and lay in His arms more often.

-He doesn’t simply want me to do the right thing; He wants me to understand why it’s the right thing to do. I don’t just want Jadon not to run out in the middle of the street. I need him to understand that there are cars driving by at high speeds and if a car were to hit him, he could be severely injured and that is why he shouldn’t run in the street.

-Sometimes the hardest most painful lessons are the best ones. Do you ever find that after a really bad temper tantrum passes, or after a super dramatic time-out ( you know the one where they’re laid out in the corner crying like someone just cut off their leg), or a little spanking, that you and ( your toddler) feel a bit stronger for going through it. That’s not to say that there won’t be other times for discipline, but you know that lessons are being learned and that’s half the battle. I know the Lord has had me walk through some hard times of discipline and though it was painful, it made me stronger.

-Speaking of discipline… He loves me all the more in the midst of it.

-Patience comes with the territory. And though we test His on every level –just like my little ones test mine, I hold on to the last shreds of it so that I don’t go insane. Thank goodness the Lord doesn’t run out of patience with me!

-He couldn’t be more proud to claim me as His own! Thank you Jesus. I LOVE my two babies. I could not have asked for better children even if I were completely in control of that. I am so proud to be on this journey of life with them. So, I can only imagine how the Lord feels to call me one of His babies.

And as Mother's Day approaches I am still open to learning more lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment